From the hopelessly romantic to the low-maintenance woman, there’s a lipstick out there for everyone. But here are 7 facts you didn’t know about your lippy:
1. Lipstick was once an indicator of social rank
During the Roman Empire, lipstick was used to indicate social hierarchy. Even men wore lip paint to signify their social status.
2. Lipstick was also a cause for annulment
The stigma associated with lipstick stretches back to the 1700s where men could annul their marriages if they suspected a woman lured them into marriage by wearing lipstick.
3. The Queen had her own signature shade made
Queen Elizabeth II commissioned her own lipstick shade to match her coronation robes at the 1952 ceremony. The soft red-blue was dubbed “The Balmoral Lipstick,” named after her Scottish country home.
4. Lipstick was one of the few products which was not rationed in the war
Winston Churchill believed it had a positive effect on morale.
5. The average woman owns at least 16 lipsticks at any given time
Yes, that’s right… 16!
6. It is thought that 30% of lipstick ends up in our stomach!
Flavoured shades are particularly prone to lip licking and eating.
7. The right lipstick will make your teeth look whiter
Opt for blue-based pinks and reds to brighten your pearly whites. Bright lipstick even detracts from tired eyes, so ladies, ditch the caffeine and amp up your shades!
At DECIDE. we have extensive expertise in the Beauty and Healthcare categories. To find out more about what we do, or for more lipstick facts – contact us today!
And as a wise woman once said:
“Of course true beauty comes from within… Lipstick just adds a little pizzazz!”