HFSS – Fast Facts
What is this?
The High Fat, Salt and Sugar (HFSS) legislation will affect brands and retailers from October 2022, the regulations will impact the way 15 food and drink categories and promoted and sold. The regulations cover volume and price promotions and product location in-store and online.
Why have the HFSS restrictions been created?
- Obesity is one of the biggest health problems the UK faces, and childhood obesity is rising with almost 1 in 5 children aged 4-5 years classed as overweight or obese *
- The government aims to halve childhood obesity by 2030.
- We know promotions influence purchases and are currently heavily focused on less healthy options, and volume promotions mean we buy 20% more than we otherwise would *
Source Department of Health and Social Care2019/2020
Which categories are affected?
Pre-packaged food and drink in scope are.
- Soft drinks, milk drinks and juices drinks with added sugar.
- Crisps and savoury snacks
- Sweet biscuits and cereal bars
- Morning goods, e.g. pastries
- Ice Cream, ice lollies, frozen yoghurt
- Breakfast Cereals
- Puddings and dairy deserts
- Ready Meals
- Crisps, savoury snacks, and other potato products
How do the restrictions impact In-store and online?
- Store entrances (up to 3% of store relevant floor area, or up to 15 m)
- Checkouts (within 2 m)
- Queuing areas (e. till areas or counters) (within 2 m unless in a main aisle)
- Aisle ends (adjacent to main aisle or on an FSDU within 50m of an aisle end)
- Online store locations – Home page, checkout, and pop-ups.
How do the restrictions affect promotions?
- No multibuys e.g. 3 for 2
- 50% extra free
- No BOGOF promotions
What promotions are allowed outside of restricted locations?
- Meal deals – products can be included, e.g., dine in, or meal for 2
- Temporary price reductions
- Products sold in multipacks and price-marked packs
What restrictions apply to advertising?
TV, Online and Licensed Characters
- If children under 16 make up more than 25% of the ad audience HFSS products cannot be advertised – so no children’s TV programmes, and most pre watershed programming.
- Licensed characters and celebrities cannot be used to promote HFSS. Products to children
Are there any Exemptions?
- Yes…Businesses with less than 50 members of staff are exempt altogether
- Stores smaller than 2000 sq. ft are exempt from location and display restrictions